Once you've created a website, there are many ways to promote it. Here is a list of things you can do to get your site lots of traffic.
- Forum Participation -start participating in forums that are relevant to your website. Done not just blatantly post ads for your website. Participate in conversations, post advise or useful information. Mention your website when it is relevant. View tips
- Directory Listings - there are endless amounts of free and paid directories. Try to list yourself in as many relevant directories as possible.
- Social Networking - certain websites like Facebook and LinkedIn have places where you can advertise your URL.
- Social Bookmarking- using sites like Digg, Stumble Upon, Del.icio.us, Google Bookmarks, etc.
- Blogging- a well constructed and focused blog can bring in visitors that your website might never have attracted. It's a great way to engage in conversation with your target market.
- Blog Carnivals - these blog events are focused on a specific topic and are published on a weekly or monthly schedule. Each edition of a blog carnival is in the form of a blog article that contains links to blog articles on the particular topic. learn more
- Online Advertising - with places like Adwords, BlogAds, and DoubleClick you can set your own advertising budget (even only if it's $25).
- Offline Advertising - just because they can't click on a link doesn't mean they won't visit your site. Print, TV, and radio can generate a lot of traffic for a website.
- Email Marketing - using an email marketing, like Campaign Monitor, you can launch campaign for an extremely low price.
- Direct Marketing -postcards or SWAG sent directly to your target market can be a great way to generate traffic for your site.
- Flyers and Posters -leave flyers and posters in places your target audience hangs out, like cafes, clubs, gyms, community bulletin boards, etc)
- Yahoo Groups -this is one of the large community sites on the web. Email discussion groups are a great way to build communities through email discussion groups. You can even host/start your own group.
- Press Releases - although not as important as it was in the past, it can still a decent way to increase visibility.
- Video - you don't just have to post crazy videos onto YouTube. You can post instructional videos, seminars, etc.
- Networking - get out into the real work (no, SecondLife doesn't count), and start meeting people. Get people excited. Join associations, clubs, and go to events.
- Widgets/Application - If it's possible, create a widget for your website that you can post iGoogle, Facebook, or that people can use on their blog or website.
- Craigslist -people have reportedly done really well posting free ads on Craigslist.
- Contests -can be a great way to generate excitement and an excuse to post your website on forums, social networking sites, and contest sites. However, the visitors might not be interested in your site. You can offer prizes that have monetary value to others, but not you - such as free advertising on your site.
- Bundles Promotion - to generate excitement, offer a free bundled service with one other product/service. This gives you a prize without spending anything other than your time and resources.
- Write an article - write an article for an online or print magazine. You can post your articles on site like squidoo.com or ezinearticles.com.
- Email Signatures - All your emails should have information about your website at the bottom of the email. You should include a link and a nice tagline or call to action.
- RSS feeds - make it easy to subscribe to content updates. Put a prominent RSS button on your website.
- White papers - for B2B websites, publish white papers that are relevant to your target market. Learn more on how to promote a white paper.
- Affiliate program - you can use a company like Commission Junction to recruite marketers to promote your website for you. They are paid for results (sales, sign ups, etc), not clicks. This gives you access to other people’s ideas, creativity and circle of influence.